Library Resources | Internet Sites | Community Resources | Search Strategies
Return to top
Materials listed here may be located at different branch libraries, please check our online catalog for location and availability. (*R in front of the call number means it is a reference book that is for in-library-use only.)
Consumer Reports Complete Guide to Health Services for Seniors (2000)
Medicare and You
by Health Care Financing Administration (2005)
R 344.7302 MEDICAR
Northwest Senior Housing Book
prepared by Research West, Inc. (2000)
NW-R 362.61 NORTHWE
The Nursing Home Choice: How to Choose the Ideal Nursing Home
by Marian Kranz (1998)
Where to Retire: America's Best and Most Affordable Places
by John Howells (2000)
R 646.79 HOWELLS
You're Fifty-Now What? Investing for the Second Half of Your Life
by Charles Schwab (2001)
LGE-TYPE 332.024 SCHWAB
You've Earned It, Don't Lose It: Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make When You Retire
by Suze Orman (1999)
Return to top
- Information and discussions on many topics such as lifestyles, health, travel. Identify businesses that offer AARP discounts. Easy link to chapters and events in Washington State. Some portions of this website are limited to AARP members.
- Aging Solutions
- Contains useful advice and information for care givers of seniors. Comprehensive checklists on elderly driving, choosing a nursing home and much more.
- Directories, news, and informational articles for seniors' interests in government, current legislation, lifestyles, health and other topics
- Firstgov for Seniors
- An easy way to get into the complexity of federal government information available.
- Medicare (Official Site)
- Find information about the Medicare-approved drug discount cards and other Medicare related topics. Also available is a toll free line at 1-800-MEDICARE.
- It provides links to manufacturers' websites for details about their discount drug programs.
- Nursing Home Compare
- Provides information about performance of Medicare and Medicaid certified nursing homes. Allows you to review reports of homes in all states.
- Senior Women Web
- Informative, entertaining, reflecting the concerns and experiences of women over 50. Includes a discussion forum.
- Find discounts for seniors by typing in your zip code and a category.
- Nonprofit organization helps adults over 50 with computer technology and education. Discussion groups on many topics are moderated for a positive experience.
Return to top
Numerous nonprofit, charitable and government organizations and agencies in Southwest Washington provide seniors with help with issues such as chore and home health assistance, education, employment opportunities, nutrition programs, residential care, transportation, and recreational and social programs.
The Expanded Community Services Directory [Call number 361.0025 EXPANDE] lists and describes these many agencies in Clark County. It is also available as a Reference book within Vancouver, Vancouver Mall and Battle Ground Community Libraries.
- Aging and Adult Services Administration
- This Washington State site provides information about long-term care, including locating adult family, boarding and nursing homes in Washington.
- A portal site listing many organizations providing resources, services and information for those who are 50+ in Clark County.
- Oregon Senior Scene
- Find businesses that offer senior discounts, travel information and links to health organizations.
- Vancouver Senior Programs
- The City of Vancouver's directory of local programs, activities and services for seniors.
- Washington State Bar Association Elder Law
- Basic information and sources for assistance with nine major legal questions seniors face, from preserving the home to age discrimination.
Return to top
If you wish to locate books of special interest to seniors in a public library, you may try using the following subject headings to search in the catalog:
Aged--health and hygiene