Progress and next steps:
- We have land! On May 19, 2017, FVRL closed on property at the corner of Goerig Street and Lakeshore Drive near downtown Woodland (see map). Press release (PDF)
- Fees lowered! Many Woodland residents (those in Cowlitz County outside the city limits) live outside of FVRL district boundaries and must pay a fee to get a library card. In May, FVRL changed the formula used to charge non-resident fees, allowing individuals to purchase a library card at lower cost. The library is also offering free 3-item library cards for minors so that all children and students, in district or not, have access to library resources.
- Working with the public and community partners to map out the community’s needs in a new library
- Developing a full budget for the project
- Establishing a plan for fundraising with the FVRL Foundation and the Friends of Woodland Community Library
- Subdividing the property, as there is more land than we need for the future library
How you can help:
- Attend or participate in community meetings: Get information and share your vision for a new library. Check the events calendar below for opportunities.
- Attend fundraisers: Check the calendar below for opportunities.
- Volunteer your time and effort: Join or support the Friends of Woodland Community Library and help with fundraisers and library promotion.
- Donate funds: Fort Vancouver Regional Library Foundation gratefully accepts gifts of any size towards the building project.
- FVRL Trustees set aside $1 million for the building project.
- FVRL worked with community stakeholders to find suitable property.
- At the same time, the Friends of Woodland Community Library began fundraising.
October 2014: A Pre-Design Study by FFA Architects, with input from the communities involved, recommended library square footage and features and included projected possible costs.
December 2013: A facilities study by Berger ABAM identified the need for new library facilities in Woodland, Ridgefield and Washougal.
In the news:
- Land purchased for new Woodland library (The Reflector, 5/30/2017)
- $1 million land deal clears path for new library in Woodland (Vancouver Business Journal, 5/24/2017)
- District closes deal on new Woodland library (The Columbian, 5/23/2017)
- Regional library board agrees to buy site for new Woodland branch (The Columbian, 5/16/2017)
- 3 small cities strive to book new libraries (The Columbian, 11/26/2015)
- Ridgefield, Woodland libraries get design priority (The Reflector, 5/28/2014)
- Study reveals Ridgefield, Woodland need new libraries (The Reflector, 4/30/2014)