Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries (FVRL) is seeking qualified applicants for a full-time (40 hours per week) Senior Library Assistant opening at Stevenson Community Library. This is a great opportunity for individuals who have a passion for working with the public and want to make a positive impact in their communities.
The primary responsibilities of this position include assisting patrons in the library and planning and presenting programs in the branch and community. A typical day could include these tasks:
- Answering patron questions regarding library resources and services as well as technology, equipment and devices
- Performing routine circulation duties including creating and updating patron accounts and checking materials in and out
- Shelving books and other materials
- Planning and presenting programs, in coordination with the Branch Manager, Senior Branch Supervisor, and/or other Senior Lbrary Assistants. Examples may include children’s programs, storytimes, and the teen book group.
- Facilitating a weekly preschool storytime
- Driving the bookmobile along a regular route
- Participating in community events and delivering programs and services offsite
To be considered, applicants must have a combination of the following experience and training:
- Three years clerical and/or technical library experience
- Previous experience of more than one year as a Library Assistant II (Public Service Assistant) or Senior Library Assistant and experience working with children
- A clean driving record
The ideal candidate will be flexible, use good judgment, have strong customer service skills, and pay great attention to detail.
This position frequently requires these physical abilities:
- Lift up to 35 pounds
- Push and pull book carts and book drop bins on wheels
- Bend, kneel and reach to shelve books
- Stand for extended periods of time
Please view the position description below for a more detailed list of job duties, requirements, and schedule.
The compensation for this position begins at $15.48 per hour with an excellent benefits package including health insurance benefits, life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment, short term and long term disability benefits, Washington State PERS retirement and paid time off.
Candidates for this position will be asked to complete assessments for both the Public Services Assistant (PSA) and Senior Library Assistant (SLA) positions.
Application deadline: Monday, February 25, 2019
PSA Assessments: Monday, March 4, 2019
SLA Assessment and interviews: Monday, March 11, 2019
The final, successful candidate will have to attend our new employee orientation in Vancouver, WA.