FVRL is working to build a new home for Washougal Community Library that will provide more materials, resources, internet and computer access, and additional space for meetings, study, programs and workshops.
Progress and next steps:
Here's what's happening:
- June 2019: The FVRL Board of Trustees has moved $450,000 from its reserve plan into the Washougal building project fund.
- We are working to finalize a site. We hope to have more news soon!
- The FVRL Board of Trustees has set aside $1 million for the building project.
Once we have a site, here are the next steps:
- Work with the public and community partners to map out the community's needs in a new library
- Develop a full budget for the project
- Establish a plan for fundraising with the FVRL Foundation and the Friends of Washougal Community Library
How you can help:
- Attend or participate in community meetings: Get information and share your vision for a new library. Check the events calendar for opportunities.
- Attend fundraisers: Check the online calendar for opportunities.
- Volunteer your time and effort: Join or support the Friends of Washougal Community Library and help with fundraisers and library promotion.
- Donate funds: Fort Vancouver Regional Library Foundation gratefully accepts gifts of any size towards the building project.
- FVRL started working with community stakeholders to find suitable property.
- At the same time, the Friends of Washougal Community Library began fundraising.
October 2014: A Pre-Design Study by FFA Architects, with input from the communities involved, recommended library square footage and features and included projected possible costs.
December 2013: A facilities study by BergerABAM identified the need for new library facilities in Woodland, Ridgefield and Washougal.
In the news
- Getting a read on a site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 9/28/2017)
- Washougal moves closer to new library (The Columbian, 9/22/2017)
- With no site in sight, some Washougal library backers start to worry (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 4/27/2017)
- FVRL to negotiate for Washougal library site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 12/22/2016)
- Washougal library to receive additional FVRL funding (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 4/26/2016)
- 3 small cities strive to book new libraries (The Columbian, 11/26/2015)