Libraries are the heart of the community. FVRL is working to build a new home for Washougal Community Library that will provide more materials, resources, internet and computer access, and additional space for meetings, study, programs, and workshops.
- July 29, 2021: First public meeting seeking input on the new library from the community.
- May 2021: FVRL selected Hacker Architects to lead the conceptual and schematic design process for the new library.
- February 2021: FVRL released a Request for Qualifications for an architect to create a conceptual design for the library.
- November 2020: Lone Wolf Development, LLC, donated a 17,424 square foot lot on Durgan Street, between Main and C Street, to FVRL for the new library. The location sits in the heart of downtown Washougal, between Washougal City Hall and the post office, and adjacent to shopping, restaurants, and residential housing. It is the former location of a bank and parking lot.
- Fundraising efforts to date have brought in an additional $282,000 for the project including over $100,000 raised in partnership with Dinner in White.
- Engage the community to help map out their needs in a new library
- Develop a full budget for the project
- Establish a plan for fundraising with the FVRL Foundation and the Friends of Washougal Community Library
How you can help:
- Attend or participate in community meetings: Get information and share your vision for a new library. Check the events calendar for opportunities.
- Attend fundraisers: Check the online calendar for opportunities.
- Volunteer your time and effort: Join or support the Friends of Washougal Community Library and help with fundraisers and library promotion.
- Donate funds: Fort Vancouver Regional Library Foundation gratefully accepts gifts of any size towards the building project.
- June: The FVRL Board of Trustees has set aside $1,450,000 in its capital reserve plan for the Washougal building project fund.
- FVRL started working with community stakeholders to find suitable property.
- At the same time, the Friends of Washougal Community Library began fundraising.
- October: A Pre-Design Study by FFA Architects (PDF), with input from the communities involved, recommended library square footage and features and included projected possible costs.
- A facilities study by BergerABAM (PDF) identified the need for new library facilities in Woodland, Ridgefield, and Washougal.
In the news
- It’s official: Washougal library has a new site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 10/8/2020)
- Fundraising for new Washougal library slow but steady (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 3/5/2020)
- Future Washougal library lands site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 4/18/2019)
- Getting a read on a site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 9/28/2017)
- Washougal moves closer to new library (The Columbian, 9/22/2017)
- With no site in sight, some Washougal library backers start to worry (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 4/27/2017)
- FVRL to negotiate for Washougal library site (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 12/22/2016)
- Washougal library to receive additional FVRL funding (Camas-Washougal Post-Record, 4/26/2016)
- 3 small cities strive to book new libraries (The Columbian, 11/26/2015)